5 Things Seniors Need to Know About Oral Health
Maintaining good oral health is an important part of every person’s life, but things get more complicated as people reach their senior years. Today we are going to provide information about 5 common oral health complications that every senior citizen needs to know about.
5 Oral Health Conditions Every Senior Should Know
- Dry Mouth – Seniors tend to need to take various medications to control health conditions that they developed throughout their lives. These medications often intensify the natural decrease of saliva flow that accompanies the aging process. All seniors should make a point of drinking plenty of water and avoiding sugary fluids.
- Oral Tissue Desensitization – Many seniors will experience temperature desensitization of their gums and other tissue inside of their mouths. This can put seniors at risk for burning their mouth, leading to painful blisters and possible infections.
- Tooth Decay & Gum Disease – Seniors teeth decay more quickly than younger adults because of the natural decrease in saliva production which leaves food particles between teeth. The lack of saliva also makes it easier for bacteria to collect between the tooth and gum tissue which drastically increases their risk of developing periodontal disease.
- Gum Recession – Gum tissue often recedes naturally as people age which leads to tooth sensitivity and discomfort.
- Tooth Degradation – A lifetime of chewing food will wear down tooth enamel, and any previous damage to teeth will need to be carefully monitored. Dental fillings and other treatments will likely need to be replaced to maintain tooth strength.
It is important for every senior citizen to pay special attention to proper oral hygiene practice and attend routine dental examinations to avoid negative oral health conditions.
Schedule an appointment at Smile Today for all of your oral health needs.
Latest posts by Kyle Huish (see all)
- Choosing a Dentist is More Than Just Price, It’s Service and Comfort - July 10, 2014
- 5 Things Seniors Need to Know About Oral Health - March 20, 2014
- 3 Effective Home Remedies For Canker Sores - February 28, 2014