Abscessed Tooth – Symptoms and Remedies
An infection around the tooth, or even inside it, is known as an abscessed tooth in dental parlance. One with a tooth abscess can be in for a lot of pain. In short, the pain can be comparable to that of an excruciating toothache and the infection quite severe. It is not an uncommon situation, with 4-5 in every 10 people suffering from abscessed teeth.
What Causes an Abscessed Tooth?
The main cause for any form of tooth abscess is damaged or decay, or even gum disease. If it is not treated for a certain period of time a tooth abscess is caused. The infection causes the pulp in the tooth to become inflamed. It is severe and affects the roots of the tooth. The infected tissue creates an abscess.
There are some basic symptoms of an abscess tooth. It gets manifested in the following ways:
- Continuous and throbbing pain
- Swollen gums that become red and pus-filled
- A smelly feeling in the mouth
- Possible fever
- Sensitivity and bleeding at the slightest touch
- Sensitive area around the tooth
A visit to the dentist is imperative once an abscess is detected. Here are the following ways it can typically be treated by a dentist:
- Prescribed a complete dosage of antibiotics that will help to kill the bacteria that cause the abscessed tooth. Once the abscess is reduced, the pain also subsides. Painkillers are suggested to deal with the pain.
- Sometimes, and depending on the severity of the infection, the dentist may suggest a root canal treatment by drilling the tooth and scraping out the abscess. The root pulp is removed and the crown saved.
- If it is a serious infection and the enamel has been eaten away, can lead to removal of the tooth.
Howsoever serious the abscessed tooth is, it can be treated effectively by a dentist. Proper medicine and action can help eradicate the pain and infection completely.
Latest posts by Kyle Huish (see all)
- Choosing a Dentist is More Than Just Price, It’s Service and Comfort - July 10, 2014
- 5 Things Seniors Need to Know About Oral Health - March 20, 2014
- 3 Effective Home Remedies For Canker Sores - February 28, 2014