Choosing the Right Foods for Oral Health
Maintaining good oral health extends beyond staying on top of proper hygiene techniques such as daily brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash. Your oral health depends on nutritious food just like the rest of your body. The old saying, “you are what you eat,” is somewhat true concerning how one’s overall health is affected by consistently eating junk food or nutritious, balanced meals. Today we are going to provide some information about which foods you should add to your diet to promote good oral health.
5 of the Right Foods for Oral Health
The right foods for oral health are packed with essential nutrients and help protect your teeth by causing your mouth to salivate.
- Dairy products such as cheese, milk and yogurt offer plenty of calcium, while also helping your mouth kill plaque with acidic saliva. Cheese has been found to cause saliva to become alkaline, and offers a protective coating on the teeth which prevents plaque buildup.
- Vegetables such as dark leafy greens and broccoli offer plenty of calcium, amino acids, and minerals which help strengthen teeth while also promoting good overall health.
- Nuts such as almonds, cashews, and walnuts offer several nutrients which are great for the entire body.
- Lean meats such as chicken and fish help strengthen and protect teeth by offering vitamins and minerals while also increasing saliva production.
- Water is very important for maintaining good oral health because it helps flush away bacteria while also keeping the body hydrated.
Things to Consume in Moderation
- Drinks with added sugar such as fruit juice, soda, and alcohol
- Convenience food such as fast food and potato chips
Schedule an appointment at Smile Today for your next routine oral health examination.
Latest posts by Kyle Huish (see all)
- Choosing a Dentist is More Than Just Price, It’s Service and Comfort - July 10, 2014
- 5 Things Seniors Need to Know About Oral Health - March 20, 2014
- 3 Effective Home Remedies For Canker Sores - February 28, 2014