Foods to Avoid with Braces
Braces are advised for those who have alignment issues with their teeth. It is an external aid that is fitted into the mouth so that it gives the wearer well aligned teeth over a period of time. However, it comes with certain dos and don’ts.
While wearing braces one can pretty much eat any and everything. However, it is seen that some food loosens or disfigures the braces and spoils its alignment. So until your goal of alignment is complete, it may help to stay away from some of these foods, if not totally, as much as is possible.
6 Foods to Avoid with Braces
- Hard Fruits: Hard and big fruits like apples, pears, guava and others should be cut into small pieces and eaten instead of being bitten into. It can harm your teeth as well as the braces in a big way.
- Candy: Hard candy or gum, fruit rolls or sticky candies should best be avoided. They also get stuck on the braces and picking them out might be a harrowing task. It can also spoil the braces and end up weakening and loosening the wires.
- Jerky: Jerky is hard and needs to be bitten on with all your might. Sure enough it is a hazard for the braces.
- Peanut or Candy brittle: It’s almost like hard candy. The crunch and munch certainly feel good but actually can harm the teeth more than one can imagine.
- Some Raw Vegetables: Though they are a must for your health, it may help to avoid raw vegetables like carrots, celery, broccoli or cauliflower that needs some effort biting into. One can always par boil or boil them completely before adding them to your diet. Doing away with the crunch form of the vegetable will help in consuming it without doing any damage to the braces.
- Some Meats: Hard meat that requires tearing into like pork or beef, may be cooked well to avoid putting pressure on your teeth or braces. It can loosen the teeth and also spoil the shape of the brace.
If you have braces, it helps to be careful as to what foods you eat and don’t eat. Make regular appointments with your dentist to make sure that your braces are well aligned only adds to your benefit.
Latest posts by Kyle Huish (see all)
- Choosing a Dentist is More Than Just Price, It’s Service and Comfort - July 10, 2014
- 5 Things Seniors Need to Know About Oral Health - March 20, 2014
- 3 Effective Home Remedies For Canker Sores - February 28, 2014