How to Improve Yellowing Teeth
It can often be very shocking for people to notice that their teeth are yellow after regularly seeing perfect, pearl white teeth in magazines and other forms of media. While yellowing teeth are an undesirable quality in a world where perfect smiles are ideal, naturally perfect white teeth are quite rare. Many models and celebrities have regular treatments to retain a brilliant white smile, and digital retouching also helps mask any discoloration in photos. It is important to know that there are simple lifestyle changes that you can make to slow your tooth discoloration, and there are also options to help you restore your teeth to the color you desire.
Lifestyle Changes to Reduce Yellowing Teeth:
- Quit Smoking: Bad habits such as smoking or chewing tobacco products are among the most common causes of yellow teeth. It is well known that tobacco use not only stains teeth, it can also increase your risk of developing gum disease, cancer, and heart disease.
- Limit Your Alcohol Consumption: The acidity and sugar content of alcohol contributes to enamel destruction on teeth which increases your chance of stains.
- Limit Your Consumption of Dark Liquids: Everyone has heard of coffee-stained teeth, but other drinks such as dark tea can also contribute to yellowing teeth. It is a good idea to avoid drinking dark sodas such as cola because of their acidity and sugar content which feeds the bacteria that form plaque.
Reduce Your Chance of Stained Teeth:
Do your best to rinse your mouth with water shortly after dark soda or alcohol to neutralize their acidity. You should also make a point of practicing proper oral hygiene to remove plaque which can contribute to tooth discoloration.
Possible Ways to Reverse Yellowing Teeth:
Most people know that there are many over-the-counter tooth whitening products, but it is a good idea to avoid them because they can damage teeth and irritate gum tissue. Seek professional tooth-whitening treatments from a licensed dentist to ensure that your teeth are gradually lightened properly.
Talk to your dentist at Smile Today for more information about tooth whitening treatments for yellowing teeth.
Latest posts by Kyle Huish (see all)
- Choosing a Dentist is More Than Just Price, It’s Service and Comfort - July 10, 2014
- 5 Things Seniors Need to Know About Oral Health - March 20, 2014
- 3 Effective Home Remedies For Canker Sores - February 28, 2014