Tooth loss can be devastating to a person because it commonly negatively affects speech, facial appearance, tooth alignment, and makes it difficult to eat. Many people choose to receive dental implant surgery to replace lost teeth, while others can’t afford the procedure. Dental bridges are a great solution for people who are missing teeth and need replacements.
How do Bridges Work?
A bridge, or fixed partial denture, is composed of one or more artificial teeth composed of porcelain coated metal which are attached to the surrounding teeth, often referred to as abutment teeth.
Fixed Bridges are bonded to the abutment teeth through a process which involves:
- Taking impressions of the bite to help create perfectly sized false teeth to fit in the area without teeth.
- False teeth are carefully fabricated.
- The abutment teeth are made smaller by removing a slight amount of enamel and dentin to create a better bonding surface for the prosthetics.
- The artificials are strongly bonded to the abutment teeth.
- The abutment teeth are crowned to ensure durability and a reliable hold.
Removable Bridges are held in place using metal fittings which attach to the adjacent teeth.
Smile Today will provide you with detailed instructions about how to care for your dental bridge. It is also very important to continue to practice proper oral hygiene and schedule routine checkups to avoid complications, tooth decay, and gum disease.
Dental bridges offer a reliable solution to missing teeth and will improve the recipients quality of life. Schedule an appointment with Smile Today to receive a consultation about dental bridges.